The Stanwood Public Library was conceived by the Junior Women's Club, now the Laetitian Club, in 1948. It's first home was a corner of the school library. For reading material for the adult public they had the assistance of the community donations and the State Traveling Library.
On December 16, 1949 it was determined that a board should be organized to run the library. They were Mrs. Max Coppess, Mrs. William c. Hansen, Mrs. Harry Klahn, Mrs. L. W. Meyer, Mrs. Robert Riley, Cecil Spear, Mrs. Roland Spear, Mrs. Melvin Thumma, and Kenneth Wilkins. Mrs. Klahn was elected librarian at this meeting.
On January 1, 1989 It was put under the jurisdiction of the City of Stanwood. The library board maintained the day to day operations, bought the books, and worked with the librarian to keep up with current trends and needs. Some of these duties have now been directed to the librarian.
The Current building was completed on June 29, 1996 and dedicated on September 14, 1996.
Librarians of the Stanwood Public Library
Interest in more: Check out the Iowa Historical Society.